NEW YORK TRAVEL TIPS
At Expedia.ie we love to travel and we want you to experience it the way we do! So, to help you discover new places and inspire you to try new things, we are giving you access to some exclusive insider tips and some exciting videos from a different destination every 2 weeks.
For the first part of our destination focus we are in the city that never sleeps, New York!
Here are some top tips on how to stretch your pennies and make the most of a trip to the Big Apple.
1. Tipping in the States can be daunting. Leave 20% for good restaurant service and $1 for every $10 spent in taxis
2. For those looking for a great night out with real New Yorkers head to P.D.T, The Mulberry Project, Le Bain at The Standard Hotel, Westway, Riff Raffs, Death & Co., The Bunker Club, White Horse Tavern, Birreria at Eataly or Stone Street in the Financial District
3. You can eat any type of food at any time in New York, so it can be tricky to choose a restaurant. For something unique, head to ABC Kitchen or Ma Peche, while those looking for classic New York dining should head to the Minetta Tavern
4. Alternatively, relive the Harlem of the 1920s through music and food with the Harlem Soul Food and Jazz Tour! Visit the contrasting areas of Harlem, from down in the "valley" to high on the "hill," and then dig into real home-style soul food, from £87 per adult with Expedia
5. Been to the Guggenheim before? For an alternative museum head toMoMA – the Museum of Modern Art – which houses one of the best shops in all of New York. Book with Expedia from just £16
6. For a dose of celeb spotting, go to the trendy Meatpacking District, West Village or Tribeca
7. To cut costs, use public transport to get from the airport to the city, rather than a cab. You will not only save a ton of money but will also not have to worry about the stream of traffic from borough to borough
8. When faced with wet weather, catch a movie at Angelika Film Center (on West Houston) or embark on a pub crawl through the West Village
9. New York is famed for its shopping. The streets off Broadway in SoHo house some of the best shopping in Manhattan. The Upper West Side is a great relaxed shopping destination, with good brunch restaurants and bars mixed with good boutiques
10. Book Sex and the City hotspots- step into the stilettos of Carrie Bradshaw and see where the ladies of Sex and the City shopped and worked. Then, sip a cocktail in one of the bars they frequented, from just £28 per adult with Expedia.
For some cocktail themed inspiration check out this video!
11. New Year in New York is magical, but never brave Times Square on New Year's Eve as it’s heaving with people, there are no bathrooms and no drinking is permitted
12. As an alternative to Central Park, Brooklyn Botanic Gardens offer a stunning green space and spectacular views of the city
13. New York is one of the most popular film settings in the world. Head to the New York Film Festival, which runs until 16th October 2011, for a unique cinematic experience.
Look below for more People Shaped Travel video guides from Expedia.ie.